Monday, July 21, 2008

We didn't quite manage to make it to Abe's Plains...

But we did manage to have a terrific time! And my first backpacking trip was a success!

Abe picked me up from work on Friday evening and we headed to Portland. There was a nice surprise waiting for us - Justin and his friend Hannah happened to be traveling up the west coast and were going with us! The next morning me, Abe, Erin, Jim, Justin, and Hannah headed to the trial head on Mt. St. Helens where we were meeting Sara and Alex (who were coming from Seattle). When we got partway there, we discovered the road to the trail head that we wanted to take was closed due to storm damage. Bummer. We really wanted to see the Plains of Abraham - it's supposedly really cool - very moon like - plus it has a great name. But that wasn't going to happen, so we went to our hiking guides and tried to find something else. We found another trail that wasn't too far away and allowed camping and dogs, so we headed that way. Once again, we got up about 3 miles away from the trail head and discovered the road was closed the rest of the way. At this point we were getting a little discouraged. We thought we'd go back to a ranger station to talk to someone and find out what roads were open, when a park service van came down the closed road. We flagged them down and they gave us advice on where to go. So off we headed to Windy Ridge.

This area was at least an hour around the other side of the mountain. We started to get worried that the dogs would get sick (I wasn't feeling that great either) from the hairpin turns when we hit the closed area of this road. This time we had warning it was closed, but I thought it would be closed further up the road. Oh well, this was it - we were going hiking no matter where we were. So we put on our hiking boots, put on our backpacks, grabbed the dogs and were off. We didn't have any maps of the park (note to self - always have a map of the park you are hiking in), so we had to go by the map that was posted at the viewpoint we parked at. We were planning on taking trail 1, but as we were leaving the trail head a man told us that if we didn't have GPS we might get lost easily because there was a lot of snow covering the trail not far up. Bummer again.

So, we decided to walk the road for a little ways. There were more viewpoints and trial heads up further up the closed road, so we thought we'd walk up there and see what was up. We walked about 5 miles on the road, with some amazing views of Mt. St. Helens and the destruction it created when it blew in 1980 because we were on the Northeast side and apparently that is where it blew, before we came to another viewpoint. Here the trail we wanted to take origionaly met up with the road, so we decided to take it back toward where the car was parked. At this point it was around 4 or 5 pm and we were getting ready to find a place to camp. I was also getting pretty darn tired and looking forward to resting! But the terrain was pretty steep, so we had to find an open flat place to camp, so onward we went. At this point we were on the trail, but probably the most difficult part of the trail! And at the end of the day no less! We had to traverse a very steep hill with switchbacks, the ground was all ashy and felt like walking on sand, and there were many obstacles (like huge trees blocking the trail). I was pretty tired and my pack was getting really heavy and my legs were aching. When we finally got to a place where the trail leveled out a bit we spotted a nice flat grassy meadow - our camp spot!!! I was so happy to see it! And proud of myself for making that last little leg of the trail. I was definitely pushing my physical limits.

So we set up camp, Alex and Jim went to look for a water source, Abe and Justin hiked up a hill to check out the view, we made some dinner, enjoyed the full moon, enjoyed each other's company, and headed to bed. We actually had a really great time hanging out at camp. The next morning we got up, Jim, Erin, Sarah and Alex hiked up the hill, we made some breakfast, packed up and headed out on the trail back towards our car. I was happy to be hiking on a trail though the woods as opposed to the road - it was beautiful, partly shaded, and easier on my feet. We had a great hike (probably almost 6 miles) back to the car, passing a stream, a few waterfalls, and amazing views of the volcano. There was a section of tough up-hill hiking, but nothing near as bad as the day before. When we got back to the car I was physically exhausted! My legs were sore, my feet were sore, my back was sore, and I could barely move. It was good we got back when we did! But I also felt great - I felt great that I completed the trip - that I carried a heavy backpack up and down hills for over 11 miles - I've never done anything like that before and was pretty proud of myself that I survived! Besides a few blisters on my feet from breaking in my new hiking boots and some sore muscles, I survived!

We stopped at Burgerville on the way home and it was the most delicious burger I've ever eaten! I've been sore all today, but I can tell it's getting better. Ika did great! She was getting a little tired and whiny toward the end, but she was fabulous and I'm proud of her! She was also exhausted - slept from the time we got in the car yesterday, all evening and night long, and most of today! She didn't even want to go on a walk to day - I think that's a first!

Oh, in other Ika news, she's getting her big girl teeth! Her front two are coming in and she's already lost one of her puppy teeth and another one is hanging, waiting to fall out. Pretty cool!

Abe started his new job today. He had orientation this morning and did practice data sets to get exposed to the programs he'll be using in the afternoon. He said there is one other guy who started today that will be doing the same thing as him. And the good things are he has super flexible hours and can wear whatever he wants! :-)

No comments: